Thursday, January 1, 2009

New Year's Resolutions??

I know a lot of people set New Year's Resolutions for themselves. Honestly, I have never been real big on them. I joke about setting them for myself, but my take is this... WHY? Why set up resolutions that you usually break. My rule of thumb is promises. When I make promises I follow through with them. If I promise something to a friend, loved one, or even myself, I know I can do it and will do it. Resolutions to me are false expectations we set for ourselves that end up making us depressed when we don't or can't follow through with them. I will tell myself "I would like to try....." then when I try it and if I succeed then GREAT, if I don't I chalk it up to experience. Last year I was determined to stop taking Hydrocodone (Vicodin), and that was something I was able to promise myself, I was bound and determined to not have that albatross around my neck any longer. This year I am starting the new year with the knowledge that I did it, will always be in recovery for it, but I am at peace with it.

This year, I would seriously like to stop smoking. I have set January 11, 2009 as my stopping date. This is something I cannot promise will happen, even though I want it badly, I am honestly scared to stop smoking. I am trying to approach it with the thought process that it is just one less thing I am addicted to, as well as the $25.00 a week I spend on them could be going to the outrageous amount of debt I put myself into last year. I do not plan on using any prescriptions, OTC aids to stop smoking. I plan on the good old fashion Cold Turkey. I will be blogging about it I am sure as the date gets closer and as I am hopefully going through the quitting process.

The other thing this year I would like to do is implement a change of eating lifestyle in our household. I know that when people have done this it has helped with weight loss and opened their lives up to challenge as well as benefits reeped for the rest of their lives. My husband and I are planning on a trip to Sturgis this year, I would love to be 25lbs lighter. That gives me 7 months to lose it, that is not an unmanageable goal, one I think I can handle.

My apprehension is this.... stop smoking and losing weight???? Do I DARE try both?? I know people have done it, I know I probably can do it, but I don't tend to be one of those personalities that like to bite off more than I can chew. (haha no pun intended). We will see what happens.

Wish me luck!! I will need it! lol

1 comment:

  1. Yeah, good luck with that. Since we have similar goals, I think we can help each other along the way.

    ReplyDelete